When you’ve been involved in a car accident, then it’s understandable that you’ll have a lot of questions. After reading this guide, give us a call so we can see how we can help you further.
For the year 2017, there’s plenty of crash data for the city of Temecula that is provided by the California Office of Traffic Safety. In that year, there were 505 victims that were killed or injured due to car accidents. Of those, 30 of them involved alcohol. 221 victims were killed due to a combination of factors including speeding, not paying attention to road conditions, and not looking out for pedestrians, bikers, or motorcycles. In the same year, 24 pedestrians were killed or injured in crashes and 20 bicyclists were injured or killed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Drivers of all ages often have questions about car accidents, no matter how many years they’ve been on the road. Below are some of the most common questions that they have.
What information should I get at the scene of an accident?
You definitely want to exchange contact information with any bystanders or witnesses. You also must exchange the following information with the other driver: names, addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, and insurance car insurance information.
You also want to take pictures at the site of the accident. If there’s any damage to your vehicle you want to document that. If there are any hazardous road conditions from the weather or construction then you will also want to document those on camera. Lastly, if you have been injured or if anyone else was injured, then you will need to take pictures of the injuries or wounds. Taking photos on your phone is a smart idea when you have been involved in a car accident.
What are some common causes of car accidents?
Some of the most common causes of accidents or speeding, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and distracted driving. Always drive at the speed limit, never drive while under the influence of any substance and turn off notifications on your phone while you drive to prevent you from losing focus on the road.
Why You Need A Car Accident Lawyer
Behind the scenes, the insurance companies adjusters will work diligently to reduce how much you receive any compensation for your claim. This is why it’s critical to have an attorney who will fight for you to get all of the money that you need and deserve. It’s also vital to your case to not speak to the insurance company without your lawyer present. They will try to get you to say something that could be used against you in court.
What To Do After A Car Accident
If you follow these guidelines, then you will know you’ve done everything you should do before calling a car accident attorney in Temecula. They include:
- Pulling over: If you are blocking traffic or are in a dangerous situation, such as on the highway, then you need to pull over into the shoulder or wherever is closest and safest away from traffic.
- Exchanging information: you need to exchange your name, address, phone number, email address, car insurance company, and policy number with the other driver involved. You will also need all of the same information from witnesses and all injured people, with the exception of their car insurance information.
- Dial 911: It’s going to be very important that you let the dispatcher know about any injuries, even if you think they’re minor, for them to send an ambulance.
- Not instigating any arguments: you want this exchange to be as quick as possible and to be able to receive medical care. In the time while you are waiting for the police and ambulance to arrive you may be feeling a lot of overwhelming emotions. It’s important to limit what you say to the other driver because you do not want anything you say to be used against you in court.
- Accept medical help: You could be suffering from a serious injury that won’t begin to hurt or bother you for several hours or days, but an emergency medicine doctor can identify it right away. If you have concerns about how you’re going to pay your medical bills then call our attorneys.